Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The IC House

We were welcome with a dance and a poster! In the house we are housing 30 peoploe. Yes 30! My room is off of the living room and there are 6 of us in the room. Only 2 high bunks this year (last year there were3 high bunks)

There are posters with our schedule posted in the living room and a wall with a poster full of funny quotes. There is never a dull moment. We have 2 pit latrines for long call (#2), and two toilets in house for short call (#1). Since there are so many people and not much water we can only shower once every two days, which is difficult because the red dirt here sticks to your skin and makes you feel so dirty!!

We have a cook named Jennifer. She is Acoli and amazing! (In luo the “c” makes a “ch” sound so you pronounce it Acholi) She is 22 years old and has been a restaurant owner. She makes the most delicious food. I am afraid I will be gaining weight again this summer!

We live behind the Invisible Children office this year near Pece (pronounced Peche) Stadium it is on the east side of Gulu town. We are near an Ethopian restaurant and the roads are very bad here. The roads are mainly just of dirt and their shape changes based on the weather. It is about a 20 minute walk to the center of town.

Speaking of town I made my first run to my tailor, Irene! She was so happy to see me. I put in an order for a school dress so I can be dressed appropriately at school. I am so excited to start getting clothes made for me again. My first outfit cost me 25,000 shillings, including labor and materials, which is about $12.50.

Wanen Diki! (In luo means “See you later!”)

No comments:

Post a Comment