Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Day 6: June 28th: BackPackers Hostel, Kampala

We arrive at 7:30 am Monday Uganda time (for reference: 5:30 am London time and 11:30 pm Sunday New York time). At this point I have not slept for more than 2 or 3 hours since Thursday night but the minute we land I am overcome with excitement. Everything feels so familiar this time, comfortable, like coming home.

All our luggage made it to Entebbe this year and we are all ecstatic! We go to Garden City mall in Kampala to exchange money and get our cell phones. (My Ugandan number is +256 – 789 – 706 – 856 the plus is important!!) Please call! Just remember to add 8 hours to NYC time to find out what time it is here. I can receive calls for free and it costs about $2 a minute to call out. If you get a $2 calling card in the states and give me a ring it is about 25 minutes of time.

Currently at Backpackers trying to stay awake until 10pm so that I can go to sleep and be adjusted to the time changes by tomorrow. Everything here is just as I remembered it. I cannot remember what my thoughts were last year at this point but I cannot wait to
1)see my friends over at BavaBuka a youth empowerment organization ()
2)be in Gulu tomorrow!

One clearly noticeable difference is the lack of miliatry and guns in Entebbe and Kampala. Last year you would see an AK-47 at every turn. This year in the 8 hours we have been here so far I have not seen 1 riffle. Also Backpackers seems to be becoming more popular with a younger european crowd. Talking to our mutatu driver also leads to the discovery that property prices are skyrocketing in this area....would that be called gentrification or colonization? I'm too tired to decide!

Soooooooo looking forward to Indian food and sleep!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, I don't know how you could do without so much sleep! Glad that you're safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete