Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Day 8: Tuesday June 29th: BavaBuka All Stars Making New Friends

Day 8: BavaBuka All Stars
Making New Friends

This morning at breakfast I decided to branch out and talk to some one not with our group at breakfast. Enter Sebastian. We said hello and then I noticed his accent. Do you speak Spanish? Yes I'm from Uruguay, he replied. An instant connection. We continue our conversation in Spanish. I find out he is a UN doctor working in the Congo. He has been there for 6 months and this is his first holiday since arriving in Africa. He plans to go to a safari in Tanzania today. We have breakfast while he regals me with stories of working for the UN in the Congo. All in all a great start for a day that will be filled with reunions and new meetings! He gave me his contact info and asked that I stay in contact. I also talked to one of the workers at the hostel, Barbara, she was great. We talked about her 4 year old daughter and fashion.

Then we were off to BavaBuka. We arrived at BavaBuka home where we were treated to an overview of the mass undertaking that is their organization. It is not funded by anyone. It is completely grassroots and self reliant. They sell t-shirts they make, music cds they record, and jewelry they make. The organization is created to empower the youth of Kampala to have a positive creative
outlet. They create poetry, artwork and music that reflects their experiences, their oppression and their hope for the future. They teach each other what they know and lead art, poetry, music, rapping and dance classes. They created a safe place where children can express themselves.

It was great being welcomed back as” Rodriguez” by Brian, Facie, Xubie, Burney, David and Gerald. They have all matured so much in the last year in their confidence and artistic abilities. I felt so inspired that I want to do something to help. I would love to have some fundraising events for them and maybe have an artist night in the fall, where people can come and create and share who they are,.....

Fundraising event can be karaoke/ game night in midtown. There are snacks for sale, a $5 entry charge and games stations set up. Anyone want to donate a Wii or Rockband for the evening? You can learn move about BavaBuka at their blog (www.bavubukacommunity.blogspot.com) or on their website (http://www.bavubuka.org). I love that their message is so positive and hopeful, we can help ourselves and transform our community, Each One Teach One!

I often feel I am not artistic or creative but I also never really have given myself the opportunity to try. This is why I would love to have an artist night where people can come and share their talents and others can learn for free. Maybe one evening people can come over to my house and I will teach them how to cook, or Gina can teach us a dance or someone can teach us how to paint with oils....etc...

I am so tired of living my life alone while I am completely surrounded by people with various talents and strengths. I would like to see the community mindedness I live in Uganda lived in New York.

1 comment: